Monday, November 19, 2007

The Great Symposium!


Philosophy is incredible.

I have taken several philosophy courses in my student journey at different schools and have loved every minute of it.

Our school library had a book sale two weeks ago and they were giving away thousands of books for only a dollar or two. I quickly grabbed a plastic bag and started rummaging.

I found the Great Dialogues of Plato lying in the bottom of a box. It was all torn up and mangled from it's previous users. It called ouuuuuuuuuuttttt to me and I nabbed it for its content and character.

As reading is one of the things I am really starting to enjoy I thought this would be a good challenge. Something with difficult English, deep concepts, and historical greatness......yup, and that would be an understatement for this book.

I find myself laughing, crying, and completely immersing myself next to Socrates as if I were Plato, watching every move and word from his tongue.

As I just finished the great Symposium chapter I am overwhelmed with reaction to its emotional and intellectual challenge. The idea of Love is so underrated and still to this day is almost seen as weak and something that less to be praised.

As a man who loves sports, the outdoors, and good beer I find that my culture tells me to shy away from expressing and wanting to talk about this idea of "love".

I wont give it away if you haven't read it, all I ask is that you go find the book yourself and enjoy it like I have. If your not at a place to enjoy books, then check it out on here:

http://classics.mit.edu/Plato/symposium.html

Would love to know what you think if you get to reading it!!

It truly is amazing to see and feel the connection between philosophy and thought on this topic well over 2,000 years ago.

No comments: